6/7/14

Colorful Wedding Cake with Clothespin Doll Cake Topper

Those who know me well, know I really DON'T like to commit to wedding cakes. Why? Have you ever looked at the badly done wedding cakes on Cake Wrecks? I have this fear that my cake would look like one of 'those'. Or have you seen the Sunday Sweets section, also from Cake Wrecks? I look at those and wonder how I could EVER measure up. And do you know how much time it takes to do this? We're not talking a leisurely afternoon of batter and frosting. It takes DAYS to plan and complete a wedding cake. However, on rare occasions, I have said yes to a wedding cake. Always under some amount of peer pressure, and never without a worry that I might be the undoing of some brides childhood dreams of the perfect wedding.
I received this text today, regarding yesterday's cake:
"Cathy!  The cake looked amazing and all the clothespin people too! People were raving about how wonderful the cake tasted! I can't thank you enough! "
Can you hear my loud, resounding "PHEW!" ???
I now feel empowered to be able to post the photos here. It was a simple cake, really. It's not "Sunday Sweet" worthy, but it made the bride happy and that really was the only goal. It's really just the size that I hate to do, as delivery is not as easy as those of you who have never done it might think . . . But I digress. 

Here's the cake:

Yes, those really were the wedding colors, all of them. :-) And as an overall theme, they worked! The reception was decorated tastefully, bright and fun, perfect to party the night away and celebrate.

The top and bottom tier are red velvet, the middle is butter pecan. All boast the amazing white chocolate cream cheese filling that I recently discovered a recipe for. The frosting is my own buttercream.
The design was simple, as the bride chose a scrolling I've done several times and that I'm quite comfortable with. I also made the cake topper, and thought it turned out really well. I made bridesmaids and groomsmen, but I hurried to finish them. With more time, I'd have loved to make them even better.





I also made 2 11X15 cakes to extend the number of servings. Nothing fancy, one is red velvet and the other butter pecan, both with the white chocolate cream cheese filing. Yum!



All in all, a happy ending. I'm happy the cake didn't topple over in my car, that the bride and groom had a great wedding, and that my cake was not a "cake wreck." This time. Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment