5/25/15

Graduation Fondant Figure

A friend of ours asked me to make just the topper for her sons graduation cake. I love to make them, so it was easy to agree. Harder was carving out time to actually do it, ha ha! They do take a couple of hours, but if you like to be creative, it's fun work. I followed mostly the steps that Wilton publishes online to make graduation figures. You can find it here: http://www.wilton.com/3D/ideas/idea.cfm?alias=Graduate-Boy&cmp=pint2013&icid=04173dgraduateboy

I use rice krispy treat as a base, because it's lighter and doesn't require the drying time that fondant does, to stand up straight. Below are the steps I took:

Make a cone with rice krispy treat.

Cut a skewer to size, to hold the figures head on.



Next, I covered it with black buttercream icing.



While that set up a little, I started on the head, so it would have time to dry a little (and not lose its shape) before attaching.
And added the cap base too …
Then I set the head aside to dry.

Next, I rolled out a rectangle of marshmallow fondant for the gown and attached it.



Added some shoes.
And a neck:


And then made the arms:
I attached those with a little water, and added the diploma, then hands, and also a book (the Bible, in this case, as Brady is headed into the mission field).



Time to finish the head, by adding hair, glasses, a cap and tassel.
He was "off kilter " at first, so I adjusted his head and "set him straight," lol. I know, my husband doesn't think I'm funny either, but I totally crack MYSELF up! :-D





Tada! And that's all there was too it. I thought he turned out adorable! 












No comments:

Post a Comment